In this topic we will discuss about Research Aptitude: Meaning, Nature, Characteristics & Objectives / Aims. Research Aptitude is important unit for NTA UGC NET Paper 1 which contains various aspects f research.
Research Aptitude: Meaning, Nature, Characteristics & Objectives
MEANING OF RESEARCH
Meaning of research: First, we should start from the word ‘research’. This word is made up by adding ‘Re’ as a prefix to the word ‘search’. Search is to make known of an existent unknown thing. Therefore, research (search of searched) means to elicit some facts out of a known thing. Research in common parlance refers to a search for knowledge
Every letter of the word ‘research’ emphasizes a special and dignified meaning as given below. R – Rational (way of thinking)
E – Expert/Exhaustive (Treatment) S – Search (for solution)
E – Exactness
A – Analytical Analysis (of adequate data) R – Relationship (of facts)
C – Careful (recording)/ critical (observation) / constructive (attitude) / condensed/and compactly (stated Generalization)
H – Honesty/Hard work
Research is thus, an original contribution to the existing stock of knowledge making for its advancement. It is the pursuit of truth with the help of study, observation, comparison and experiment. In short, the search for knowledge through objective and systematic method of finding solution to a problem in research.
We can summarize the modern meaning of research in following points-Research is
“Research comprises defining and redefining problems, formulating hypothesis or suggested, solutions, collecting, organizing and evaluating data, making deductions and reaching conclusions and at last carefully listing the conclusions to determine whether they fit the formulating hypothesis.”
“Research is the systematic and objective analysis and recording of controlled observations that may leave to development of generalizations, principles or theories result in prediction and possibly ultimate control of events.”
NATURE & CHARACTERISTICS OF RESEARCH
Nature & Characteristics of Research
- It is a scientific investigation. Research (re-search) means to “search again.’ It connotes patient study and scientific
- It develops concepts and the theories. One reason for conducting research is to develop and evaluate concepts and the theories.
- It is solution oriented and directed towards the solution of a
- It determines the relation between two or more
- Research emphasizes to the development of theories, concept, principles and generalization that are helpful in predicting future
- Research is The design, procedures and result of scientific research should be replicable so that any person other than researcher may assess the validity of research.
- Research requires that researchers have full knowledge of the problem under the
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF RESEARCH
Aims and Objectives of Research
To discover answers to questions through the application of scientific procedures, its main aim is to find out the truth which is hidden and which has not been discovered as yet. Though each research study has its own specific purpose, we may think of research objectives as falling into a number of following broad groupings:
- To gain familiarity with a phenomenon or to achieve new insights into it. (Exploratory or formulative research studies).
- To portray accurately the characteristics of a particular individual, situation or a group. (Descriptive research studies).
- To determine the frequency with which something occurs or with which it is associated with something else. (Diagnostic research studies).
- To test a hypothesis of a causal relationship between variables (hypothesis-testing research studies).